The Rules

During the following year, I am going to discover life. My experiment shall consist of two parts:

1) Learning to be healthy by controlling what I eat and exercising


2) Trying new things, learning new things, and living new things


I will attempt to be healthy and exercise every day. Occasionally I will write about how doing these things, or not doing these things, affects my mood and overall outlook on life.

I will also learn 28 new things this year. These may be skills, like photography, martial arts, or how to play an instrument. I may research interesting topics and summarize my findings on here. I may go somewhere new and learn facts about that place. I may learn to paint or cook something or make a battery.

I am open to suggestions here. If there is something you think I should learn or do, or something you want me to learn about for you, let me know! I am not rich, so please don't ask me to do something expensive. I am simply looking to try new things and experiment with this crazy little thing called life.


Also feel free to have me try out a fad diet or exercise program, just know that I won't stick with it for too long :) Unless, of course, it brings me happiness. Really, I'm just looking to find things that create joy and expand my horizons. That's what life is all about right?


The power is in each of us. Life is too short to waste.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Walks in the Rain

I love walking in the rain. Tonight I felt like getting out, so I set off for the Provo River Trail and a lovely late afternoon jaunt of fresh air and solitude. It started sprinkling lightly on me, but as it was warm and beautiful, I kept going.

Down by the lake Provo is all country. I walked past horses grazing their evening meal. I said hello to cows and calves that attempted to intimidate me by staring eerily at me as I ambled by. I saw green fields and blue mountain outlines in the distance. I watched birds tumble gracefully through the sky and saw a crane soar overhead. People were out fishing peacefully, and the air pulsed vibrantly in stillness.

Despite recent fears and panics about turning 28 tomorrow, as I meandered down that country road in a steadily deepening rain, I felt completely exhilerated and knew that there was no where I would rather be, at that moment. And if those moments can overcome all the other moments, than I really will be happy, no matter where I am.

So to begin this year of experimenting, I have learned tonight that nature brings peace and getting soaked in the rain is one of my favorite things to do. I look forward to learning much, much more this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment